It’s back to school time! Can you believe it? Every year I am sad to send my kids off to school again. Here are a few ideas to help you prepare for back-to-school.
A love note from home will make any kind of day a little better. Let your kids know you love them even when you’re not there.
• Write some notes, or print them, ahead of time. Most of us do not have time in the morning for one more thing. If they are ready to go, we are more likely to use them.
• Your kids could write notes to each other to put in the lunches.
• Have a faraway grandma write notes to them.
• I like to get the colored post-its, that way they stick to whatever you put them on.
• Sometimes I tape a couple of quarters on it so they can spend it at the student store.
• If you plan ahead, you can make your little love notes themed. For example: “You’re the apple of my eye” on apple slices. “I’m bananas about you” or “I’m plum proud of you.”
• When they get older, they might be a little embarrassed to pull out a brightly colored note from mom. That’s when I start using 3×5 cards. Write the note then fold it in half. For all their friends know, it’s a note from another friend.
• If you don’t send homemade lunches, think of another fun place to leave a cute note for them. A student planner or in their pocket is a good start.
Getting used to the new schedule takes some adjusting. Start the week before they go back to school by waking them up at the time they will be getting up will make that transition easier.
A Father’s Blessing is perhaps the biggest comfort of all. Lots of families do this on the last Sunday before school starts. If this isn’t possible in your home, call your home teachers to schedule a blessing.